The Department for Education has published draft statutory guidance on college governors’ new duty to review local skills provision.
• Governing bodies must undertake regular reviews of how well the education or
training provided by the college meets local needs, in particular local employment
• Governing bodies should undertake a review at least once every three years.
• In reviewing provision within a local area, governing bodies are expected to
collaborate with other governing bodies also serving that area.
• Governing bodies are required to publish the outcome of their reviews on their
• Governing bodies must consider what actions they and other providers can take to
best meet local needs, in particular local employment needs, including changes to the
structures through which provision is delivered.
• The responsibility for the curriculum offer continues to rest with individual governing
All this will come into play within two months of the new Skills Bill being put on the statue books.