This guidance is out for consultation, and may be of interest to governors who are Safeguarding Leads.
The Department for Education, working closely with the Government’s Equality Hub, has worked to produce this guidance to provide clarity for schools and colleges, and reassurance for parents.
The guidance has 5 main principles:
- Schools and colleges have statutory duties to safeguard and promote the welfare of all children.
- Schools and colleges should be respectful and tolerant places where bullying is never tolerated.
- Parents should not be excluded from decisions taken by a school or college relating to requests for a child to ‘socially transition’.
- Schools and colleges have specific legal duties that are framed by a child’s biological sex.
- There is no general duty to allow a child to ‘social transition’